RON HENGGELER

August 5, 2014
Nature. . .

My soul can find no staircase to Heaven unless it be through Earth's loveliness.
Michelangelo

Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better.
Albert Einstein

The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep.
Robert Frost

The good man is the friend of all living things.
Mahatma Gandhi

I thank you God for this most amazing day, for the leaping greenly spirits of trees, and for the blue dream of sky and for everything which is natural, which is infinite, which is yes.
e. e. cummings

Nature always wears the colors of the spirit.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just living is not enough... one must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower.
Hans Christian Andersen

One touch of nature makes the whole world kin.
William Shakespeare

In all things of nature there is something of the marvelous.
Aristotle

Mother Nature is always speaking. She speaks in a language understood within the peaceful mind of the sincere observer. Leopards, cobras, monkeys, rivers and trees; they all served as my teachers when I lived as a wanderer in the Himalayan foothills.
Radhanath Swami

There is pleasure in the pathless woods, there is rapture in the lonely shore, there is society where none intrudes, by the deep sea, and music in its roar; I love not Man the less, but Nature more.
Lord Byron

The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
John Muir

Sunshine is delicious, rain is refreshing, wind braces us up, snow is exhilarating; there is really no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather.
John Ruskin

Nature uses human imagination to lift her work of creation to even higher levels.
Luigi Pirandello

The mountains are calling and I must go.
John Muir

The nature of God is a circle of which the center is everywhere and the circumference is nowhere.
Empedocles

The sun, with all those planets revolving around it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else in the universe to do.
Galileo Galilei

A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song.
Maya Angelou

I love to think of nature as an unlimited broadcasting station, through which God speaks to us every hour, if we will only tune in.
George Washington Carver

If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
Carl Sagan

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
Neil Armstrong

How inappropriate to call this planet Earth when it is quite clearly Ocean.
Arthur C. Clarke

I understood at a very early age that in nature, I felt everything I should feel in church but never did. Walking in the woods, I felt in touch with the universe and with the spirit of the universe.
Alice Walker

I believe a leaf of grass is no less than the journey-work of the stars.
Walt Whitman

The ground we walk on, the plants and creatures, the clouds above constantly dissolving into new formations - each gift of nature possessing its own radiant energy, bound together by cosmic harmony.
Ruth Bernhard

Trees are the earth's endless effort to speak to the listening heaven.
Rabindranath Tagore

When I have a terrible need of - shall I say the word - religion. Then I go out and paint the stars.
Vincent Van Gogh

I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.
E. B. White

Reading about nature is fine, but if a person walks in the woods and listens carefully, he can learn more than what is in books, for they speak with the voice of God.
George Washington Carver

Yosemite Valley, to me, is always a sunrise, a glitter of green and golden wonder in a vast edifice of stone and space.
Ansel Adams

There are no passengers on spaceship earth. We are all crew.
Marshall McLuhan

To me a lush carpet of pine needles or spongy grass is more welcome than the most luxurious Persian rug.
Helen Keller

To cherish what remains of the Earth and to foster its renewal is our only legitimate hope of survival.
Wendell Berry

Even Kings and emperors with heaps of wealth and vast dominion cannot compare with an ant filled with the love of God.
Guru Nanak

The world is mud-luscious and puddle-wonderful.
e. e. cummings

A woodland in full color is awesome as a forest fire, in magnitude at least, but a single tree is like a dancing tongue of flame to warm the heart.
Hal Borland

The poetry of the earth is never dead.
John Keats

Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
R. Buckminster Fuller

If I had to choose a religion, the sun as the universal giver of life would be my god.
Napoleon Bonaparte

Some people walk in the rain, others just get wet.
Roger Miller

As the poet said, 'Only God can make a tree,' probably because it's so hard to figure out how to get the bark on.
Woody Allen

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
Edward Steichen

For every person who has ever lived there has come, at last, a spring he will never see. Glory then in the springs that are yours.
Pam Brown

And this, our life, exempt from public haunt, finds tongues in trees, books in the running brooks, sermons in stones, and good in everything.
William Shakespeare

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
John Burroughs

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.
Helen Keller

Let the rain kiss you. Let the rain beat upon your head with silver liquid drops. Let the rain sing you a lullaby.
Langston Hughes

For an Impressionist to paint from nature is not to paint the subject, but to realize sensations.
Paul Cezanne

In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.
John Muir

It is not so much for its beauty that the forest makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air that emanation from old trees, that so wonderfully changes and renews a weary spirit.
Robert Louis Stevenson

Nature is the source of all true knowledge. She has her own logic, her own laws, she has no effect without cause nor invention without necessity.
Leonardo da Vinci

I experience a period of frightening clarity in those moments when nature is so beautiful. I am no longer sure of myself, and the paintings appear as in a dream.
Vincent Van Gogh

The tree which moves some to tears of joy is in the eyes of others only a green thing that stands in the way. Some see nature all ridicule and deformity... and some scarce see nature at all. But to the eyes of the man of imagination, nature is imagination itself.
William Blake

Nature is so powerful, so strong. Capturing its essence is not easy - your work becomes a dance with light and the weather. It takes you to a place within yourself.
Annie Leibovitz

The nature of God is a circle of which the center is everywhere and the circumference is nowhere.
Empedocles

The best remedy for those who are afraid, lonely or unhappy is to go outside, somewhere where they can be quiet, alone with the heavens, nature and God. Because only then does one feel that all is as it should be.
Anne Frank

Newsletters Index: 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006

Photography Index  | Graphics Index | History Index

Home | Gallery | About Me | Links | Contact

© 2015 All rights reserved
The images are not in the public domain. They are the sole property of the artist and may not be reproduced on the Internet, sold, altered, enhanced, modified by artificial, digital or computer imaging or in any other form without the express written permission of the artist. Non-watermarked copies of photographs on this site can be purchased by contacting Ron.